Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dal & mommy's day at the pool!

So today I experienced one of those moments that keeps you so emotional you want to cry even 15 minutes after the fact. Dal and I spent 2 1/2 hours at the pool today. It was actually really fun. I thought I would be bored chasing him around but I really enjoyed it. He has such a personallity now. All of the people at the pool were talking to us and all of the woman were so suprised at how out going and fearless he is. Every time some on walked by he would say "Hi" over and over and then as they passed he would say "bye bye" several times until he would get a response. He loves playing with other people's pool toys and steels every one's stuff (even though I have spent a ridiculious amount of money on pool stuff this week). No one seems to mind cause they all talk about how he is the cutest thing they have ever seen. He is pretty adorable! So he would run up to the edge of the pool whenever his stolen ball would roll in and try to bend over and grab it. Of course I was right there the whole time and most the time he had a life jacket on. After the 2 1/2 hours we left to eat and swing at the park. Then we decided to come back. So when we got to the pool my hands were full from carrying all of his pool floaties and life jacket (that he wasn't wearing yet). Mean while, Dal runs over and steels a ball and bounces it right into the pool. I set my keys and phone down and was watching him as he dashes for the ball and runs right into the pool without hesitation. I jumped in with my dress on and my brand new leather sandles(that I didn't want wet) with the same vigor Dal had going in; it was a reflex I didn't even know I had. His head went completely under before I could get to him but when he came up he didn't seem that bothered. He coughed a little water up and hugged me for a minute, then was ready to get back in and play. While I was holding him franticly he just kept saying "ball, ball, ball." When that kid has his mind set on it, he is bound and determined to get it. The mothers that were only feet away watching came over to fish his green crocs out of the water for me and said they have never seen a mom react as fast as I did. They joked with me and said "good thing you put your keys and cell phone down cause you wouldn't have thought twice about setting them down." Its so true, nothing crossed my mind in that moment except for Dallin. So I put his life jacket on (its the coolest life jacked cause its has the floaties that go around your arms and then it straps all the way around you and clicks in the back so children can't fall forward on their faces very well cause their arms keep them up) and kept playing with him. He had long forgotten about the incident, but I still had a strong urge to cry for about 15 minutes after. It is so hard to imagine something bad happening to your child. I am so glad I was close enough to save him right away.
Anyway, that is my crazy story for the day. Time flies when your havin fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OOOH my goodness, that is the scariet thing ever! You are amazing. I'd like to think I would act that quickly, but I kind of numb up in crazy situations sometimes, and that just makes things worse. You are amazing, and that would be SO SCARY!!! glad everything was ok. and hey, it makes for a great story.

Becca said...

um, that was me. I am in charge of my high school reunion and I was logged in to that e-mail apparently.