Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Look at those big convincing blue eyes!



Potty training Dallin today was much messier than the first 2 days. He has suddenly lost interest even tho he is the one that started all of this nonsense. He is so silly. My sister Des said that the 3rd day is always the hardest. So i have debated all day quitting since he is so young and waiting till he is a little older. But I feel like if I quit now it might back fire on me next time because he won't take me seriously. So this has brought me to the conclusion that I become the biggest softy when those big blue eyes look up at me and try to sway me from doing what really needs to be done. I just want Dallin to be happy and know that I love him. I feel like when I am strict with him that he will not love me as much. I have struggled with this since I have had him and I am starting to come to the realization that I need to fallow through with the things I say. A talk by Elder Uctdorf really struck me and has helped me with this in the last few weeks. Matt turned the talk on his iphone and we layed down and listened to it one morning. I don't remember what it was called, I will have to add the name later. But it was about a study that a scientist did on on a group of children. The scientist gave every child a marshmallow and told them that they could either eat it now, and only get one, or if they waited 10 minutes they could have a 2nd one as well. Some ate it right away and others waited a few minutes only to sucumb to their hunger and eat it. A few held out and waited the whole ten minutes and recieved a second marshmellow as the scientist promised. The scientist kept in contact with all of the children from his study and kept a journal of their life. After the children were settled down as adults he found that the children who could not wait for the full ten minutes struggled more finacially and in all other area's of their life. But the children that waited were successful in almost every aspect of their life. Elder Uctdorf went on the talk about how waiting and not always getting the things we want or think we need right away is beneficial to us because we learn dicipline and hardwork. I learned so much from this because I always feel guilty when I am srict and don't give Dal the things he wants, but I am realizing it is good for him. He will get a hang of potty training and eating the same dinner as us and going to bed when is it bed time. It really falls down to how consistant I am. Thats the hard part, cause it is not easy to stay on top of everything. I know that if I can teach Dallin that he can't always have the things he wants now but with work and waiting he will be able to have them later in life and this will result in him growing into a much better man because of it. I am still learning and pray every day that I can be the mother that my children need me to be. This whole mom thing is much harder than some moms make it look!
I feel like the talk by Uctdorf also has helped me be more patient as I have to wait for things I want. It has been difficult financially since we got married. There has been so many things that we have had to go without. I have really had to learn the difference in my needs and wants. Since we have moved to Pennsylvania I have really been wanting to buy more clothes. I packed only the bare necessities hoping we would be doing a little better money wise by now, so I could by some new clothes. Well we have been here over a month and I only have 1 pair of shorts and about 5 shirts to my name and my shoes are a pair of flip flops that have worn threw almost completely. It has been really hard for me to experience this because I already have felt like I have given up everything since I have had Dal. I was so strengthened by this talk because it helped remind me that it is good for me to wait. I am learning to be so much more compassionate and understanding of people. I know the Lord will bless us and he is making me wait so I can be a better person. After all, its not like dallin cares if I look like a grunge!

1 comment:

Becca said...

long time no see!

your blog was still on my blog list - it's good to have an update.

I am SO impressed with you! seriously, it is SO hard to be consistant and to discipline, but you are right, that's what our kiddos need. Way to go for working hard and being a good mom. Seriously, this post was great. I needed to read it.

as for the clothes thing - yeh I've been there. last year we had 0 money, had kid number 2, in between jobs...I looked like poop. BUT...I tell you this because it will get better. and really, I promise you still look cute in your one pair of shorts and 5 shirts. but you'll get to a time soon where it won't be this way. hang in there!